Tuesday, April 24, 2007

what strange machines we are/ what strange machines we are (3x)

Since it's been so long since I've updated the ol' blog, I figured that, hey, since I have a couple of hours to kill, I'd let all two (or three?) of you know why:
1. Pretty much nothing has been going on. Things at the store are actually not too bad, financially; we were very worried how the construction out front would impact business and it doesn't seem to have too much. We've even had some really good days, and if those keep up enough to get someone to buy the store in the next six months, I'll still have a job.
2. I've been working on this year's Elsie Hooper Art Contest. It's been fairly slow going because I'm working on a larger scale than I usually do (instead of the middle of an 8" x 10", I'm using the whole of an 11" x 16"), and it's turning out fairly well, but I still need to find a larger scanner than I usually use when I'm done. Also, the other entrants won't be able to possibly cheat this year because he has actual judges for the finalists. Which is good.
3. I'm working on another story off and on. This one takes place in an airport, which, aside from being something I've wanted to do for a while*, has a very low likelihood that there will be interspecies erotica.

That's more or less it. Flickr update tonight or tomorrow morning, depending on my speed in getting the yet-to-be-taken pictures uploaded.

I'm pretty sure that I called some previous entry the Most Boring Entry Ever. I'm also pretty sure this one beats it.

*Many of my story ideas have involved airports in one way or another. The Spokane Story originally began in an airport, years after the events of the story's current incarnation, and the characters were drastically different. But I've always (usually) enjoyed airports and would like to write several that take place in them. Just because.

7 comments:

Mary said...

I'm so glad there will be no interspecies erotica. That sounds, to be frank, more than a little creepy.

Airports are interesting places....all those people trapped together, no one wanting to be there...bad food, lots of spare time...

Walt said...

I never intentionally wrote any, but there was a part in one story that was interpreted that way. And, reading it again, I can see that.

I especially like the lots of spare time aspect of them, and, eventually, the time limit that departing flights put on the people there.

Unknown said...

Interpreted that way?! Ahem. He had this woman's cat beating out her husband in the love department and also enjoying it's sensual strokes as I recall. There was also use of some pretty obvious verbage. But we forgive him because my guess is walt's experience with dirty chick lit is pretty slim.

Airports are also very dramatic, anything can happen in an airport, it's also funny the kinds of people it brings into really close proximity.

Hey maybe you could have your character bring her cat...

Walt said...

Yeah, no dirty chick lit experience. Unless the Princess Diaries count. Which I HIGHLY doubt.

I hadn't thought of the cat bit, but I could certainly do that...

Unknown said...

You've read the princess diaries? How cute are you?

PS Her cat could get out and escape. And she could chase it all around and have all sorts of adventures/mishaps, that or she could just, you know, lick it.

Walt said...

Adventures, hm? Hmmm, I could try lightneing the mood of my work as a whole.

Come to think of it, I haven't really written a happy story...

Unknown said...

What? Your stories? Gloomy? No, really?

They don't have to be happy adventures, she could get killed by a terrorist toting acid in a listerene bottle (travel size of course) and an ROTC guy could step on her cat and her long lost lover could just catch a glimpse of her sizzling skin as he boards the 5 o'clock to Tokyo.

The possibilities are truly endless.